The Hot and Sticky Summer months are unfortunately over. Now The dogs can enjoy a bit of the cooler weather with the Fall season here.
As with any change of season, your pet is coming in contact with new experiences and exposures both around the house and outdoors that perhaps weren’t present in the previous season. To protect your pet this fall, here are some common hazards that you and your family should be aware of.…
Now that the kids are back in school, your pet may be tempted to snack on some school supplies that may be lying around, such as crayons, markers, glue, or pencils. These objects can be a choking hazard or can be toxic for your pet to ingest. Keep school supplies in areas where your pet can’t reach them and share this important tip with your children.
We do not recommend the use of rodenticides. However, their use tends to be higher in the fall, when mice are starting to look for somewhere warm to go for the winter. Rodenticides are toxic to more than just mice, so make sure they’re placed in areas not accessible to your pets. As an alternative, we recommend a holistic deterrent of vinegar and pepper mix spray.
If you’re changing your engine coolant this fall, avoid ethylene glycol-based coolants and instead go for the less toxic glycol-based coolants. Glycol-based coolants could still make your pet sick if ingested, so any spills should be cleaned thoroughly.
With days getting shorter, there may be less daylight during your dog walks. Make sure both you and your pet are wearing bright colors or consider purchasing a collar with an LED light.
If your pet has seasonal allergies in the fall, there are ways you can alleviate some of their symptoms. You can check with Your veterinarian for information on how to treat/prevent this.
Indoor and outdoor heating sources
Keep your pet from getting too close to potentially dangerous heating sources. That means keeping your fireplace cover closed and keeping pets away from outdoor fire pits and electric heaters. Remember to also turn off electric heaters if no one is home.
While most wild mushrooms aren’t toxic, it can be difficult to distinguish a toxic mushroom from a non-toxic one. Keep your pet away from areas where wild mushrooms are found. If you see that your pet has eaten a wild mushroom, contact your vet or animal poison control immediately.
If you have any Questions feel free to contact anyone at TODH and we will be more then happy to help you out.